- People who would like to receive spiritual direction can contact the SPIDIR Referral Team for help in finding someone suitable.
- This service is free but contributions to the special fund would be welcomed to support training ( see below).
- We do not offer counselling.
There are different ways of finding a Spiritual Director:
- It may be that you already know someone who you find easy to talk to - it is worth having a word and seeing if they are able to meet you regularly for spiritual direction.
- Or it might be that a third party, maybe a friend or someone at church, could recommend somebody to you.
- If these possibilities do not apply, you can approach SPIDIR and we will try to help. When you have completed the referral form online, one of the referral team will contact you, and you will have a conversation during which we try to find out what sort of person would be helpful for you at this moment. These are often very interesting conversations and the joy of this task lies in 'meeting' so many fascinating people!
The actual work of finding the most appropriate director for somebody is currently done by a Referral group made up of past and present SPIDIR Course leaders - between us, we know most of the people who have passed through the courses and we each bring that knowledge to bear. Hoping that the resulting relationship will be a fruitful one we do all we can to choose the right person, taking time and care rather than just picking a name at random from a list.
Many people ask about our fees. As a matter of policy, SPIDIR does not charge for Spiritual Direction. Many people do want to offer payment, and we have set up a special fund into which such payments can be made - this fund enables discretionary grants to be offered towards the initial or ongoing training of our directors. Enquiries can be made to the Hon treasurer Chris Dowlen.